[Pythonmac-SIG] appscript with Quicktime - "Connection is invalid' error

has hengist.podd at virgin.net
Sat Jun 27 19:38:30 CEST 2009

Sean DiZazzo wrote:

> On a whim I tried the 0.20.0 version that was released today.  To my
> surprise, export() has grown a new keyword... timeout!

It's actually been around since the early days, although some older
documentation wasn't as clear about it. Chapter 11 of the appscript
manual lists all of the special arguments that are always available
for use: waitreply, timeout, resulttype, ignore (though the last two
are ignored by most applications).

> I'm doing some work with quicktime, and I'm getting an error (-609,
> "Connection is invalid") when trying to save a large movie as self
> contained.  The error is a bit inconsistent, and actually came up as
> a different error once so far. (-1708, "Application could not handle
> this command")  It seems as if the movie is written to the
> destination as I expect sometimes,  but other times it isn't.

Don't know about the -1708 error; a glitch in QTP? -609 normally
indicates the target application has unexpectedly quit before replying
to an event, but a bug/shortcoming in AESendMessage() means it often
also gets returned when timeouts occur (normally error -1712).

Anyway, nice to hear you're finding it useful.

Regards,

has
--
Control AppleScriptable applications from Python, Ruby and ObjC:
http://appscript.sourceforge.net