[Pythonmac-SIG] Installing Pygame

arthamax at sbcglobal.net arthamax at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jun 29 03:14:44 CEST 2009

Hi,
I am using a Mac PPC with Tiger 10.4.11 and I recently downloaded and
installed Python 2.6.2. and I am having difficulties getting started.

I purchased "Python Programming, 2nd Ed. for the absolute beginner"
by Michael Dawson because he uses games to teach programming and the
book got great reviews at Amazon.com.

When I opened the CD that came with the Python book I could not open
the software (Pygame, Livewires, etc.) and there was no reference to
Mac or Windows unless it was in the file names which I don't know.

I went to Pygame website
http://www.pygame.org/download.shtml
"Macintosh" to download Pygame

"These are packages for the python from python.org, not the system
python. These packages work with OSX 10.3.9 upwards.
# pygame-1.8.1release-py2.5-macosx10.5.zip
# pygame-1.8.1release-py2.4-macosx10.5.zip
# pyobjc-1.4-py2.5-macosx10.4.mpkg.zip - pyobjc is needed for OSX
10.3, 10.4, and 10.5."

and for the first time using this Mac I couldn't install anything.
All three installation attempts ended with a red exclamation point
over the Macintosh HD icon and a button saying "Go Back." The
"Continue" button was grayed out. What am I missing?

Setting up Python to learn through Dawson's book is becoming too much
for me and I haven't even looked at Livewires and the other stuff.
Has any Mac users here worked with this book or know where I can go
for further assistance? I'm just about ready to send it back to
Amazon.com (along with another book by Dawson called "Beginning C++
Through Game Programming, 2nd Ed" which I haven't even looked at yet).

Apparently I have a lot to learn before I can even start to learn
programming through games – my ambitions have greatly exceeded my
capabilities.

Any assistance regarding this matter would be greatly appreciated. If
there's a better or more useful place to post this message please let
me know.

Thank you.