[Pythonmac-SIG] Python PyGame GTK SQLAlchemy on Leopard

Ned Deily nad at acm.org
Sun May 17 21:45:52 CEST 2009

In article
<5465ee790905170221l159b9462p4e06f3c08664eda5 at mail.gmail.com>,
 Chris Van Bael <chris.van.bael at gmail.com> wrote:
> So the user python is indeed working and has PyGame installed.
> But unfortunately PyGTK is installed in the system Python, but I want
> it in my user python.
>
> I forgot to mention that I also did "jhbuild build pygtk" after that tutorial.
> So it installs PyGTK, only in the wrong Python.
> How can I solve that?
>
> Do I need to change a configuration file that jhbuild uses as input or
> can I copy the build GTK+PyGTK to my user Python?

Sorry, I don't have any experience with PyGTK or jhbuild.  But, in
general, if jhbuild is using the standard way of installing python
modules and extensions, you probably just need to make sure it finds the
"user" python first.  If it has a hard-wired path to the system python
(/usr/bin/python), you may have to edit something somewhere (for
instance, to /usr/local/bin/python).

It may be possible to move or copy the installed pygtk module from the
system python to the user python but that's really not a good idea: it
may not work and you'll likely run into the problem again.  For the
record, for the system python, you'll probably find (most of) it
installed in:
/Library/Python/2.5/site-packages
For the user python, it needs to be in:
/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/python2.5/site-pack
ages

There appears to be an active PyGTK mailing list.  You might want to
check its archives or ask over there.

<http://pygtk.org/feedback.html>

Good luck!

--