[Pythonmac-SIG] [Pyobjc-dev] New beta release for pyobjc: 2.2b2

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Tue May 26 20:34:06 CEST 2009

On 26 May, 2009, at 20:25, Ron Garret wrote:

> On May 26, 2009, at 10:34 AM, Ronald Oussoren wrote:

>>> It still doesn't work for me (on an Macbook Pro (Intel) running
>>> 10.5.7):
>>>
>>> [ron at mickey:~]$ sudo easy_install pyobjc==2.2b2
>>> Searching for pyobjc==2.2b2
>>> Best match: pyobjc 2.2b2
>>> Processing pyobjc-2.2b2-py2.6.egg
>>> pyobjc 2.2b2 is already the active version in easy-install.pth
>>>
>>> Using /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/
>>> python2.6/site-packages/pyobjc-2.2b2-py2.6.egg
>>> Processing dependencies for pyobjc==2.2b2
>>> Searching for pyobjc-framework-ScreenSaver==2.2b2
>>> Reading http://pypi.python.org/simple/pyobjc-framework-ScreenSaver/
>>> Reading http://pyobjc.sourceforge.net
>>> Best match: pyobjc-framework-ScreenSaver 2.2b2
>>> Downloading http://pypi.python.org/packages/source/p/pyobjc-framework-ScreenSaver/pyobjc-framework-ScreenSaver-2.2b2.tar.gz#md5
>>> =bff19c85e265409701c684f463e16c78
>>> Processing pyobjc-framework-ScreenSaver-2.2b2.tar.gz
>>> Running pyobjc-framework-ScreenSaver-2.2b2/setup.py -q bdist_egg --
>>> dist-dir /var/folders/nT/nTiypn-v2RatkU+BYncrKU+++TI/-Tmp-/
>>> easy_install-1khDIF/pyobjc-framework-ScreenSaver-2.2b2/egg-dist-
>>> tmp-Sy04w1
>>> /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/python2.6/
>>> distutils/dist.py:266: UserWarning: Unknown distribution option:
>>> 'options'
>>> warnings.warn(msg)
>>> ld: in /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.4u.sdk/usr/local/lib/
>>> libTIFF.dylib, file is not of required architecture for
>>> architecture ppc
>>> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
>>> lipo: can't open input file: /var/folders/nT/nTiypn-v2RatkU+BYncrKU
>>> +++TI/-Tmp-//ccNC2XJP.out (No such file or directory)
>>> error: Setup script exited with error: command 'gcc' failed with
>>> exit status 1
>>

>> You have non-universal libraries in /usr/local, but I don't
>> understand why this is a problem because that library shouldn't be
>> used at all.
>>
>> What's even more odd is that python tries to compile at all, there
>> are binary eggs available for python2.6.
>>
>> Ronald
>
> I'm not quite sure what to make of this response.  It seems to me
> that if a Python library is trying to find a PPC binary on an Intel
> machine that's a bug in the Python library.  Also it's looking in
> the MacOSX10.4u.sdk directory, but this machine is running 10.5 (.
> 7), which seems like another bug.

The compiler isn't that smart. If the linker looks for a library and
stops at the first filename that matches without looking if it is for
the right architecture. That means that if you happen to have a PPC
library in /usr/local/lib and the compiler was actually looking for an
intel one the search stops at the PPC library and you get a link error.

If you have installed Python using the installer from the python.org
site the situation is slightly more complicated: that installs a
universal binary, which is a fat binary that contains both intel and
ppc versions of the code. This means that all libraries that get
linked into extensions must also be universal binaries and if they
aren't you'll get link errors.

> So... is this a bug, or am I doing something stupid?  If it's a bug,
> am I the only person encountering it?  Can I do anything to help fix
> it?

Can you manually download the source archive of pyobjc-framework-
ScreenSaver from pypi.python.org and sent me the result of "python2.6
setup.py install.  I'd also like to see the output of "file /usr/local/
lib/libTIFF.dylib", "python2.6 -c 'import distutils.util; print
distutils.util.get_platform()' and 'python2.6 -V'.  And finally: how
did you install python, from source or using a binary installer?

Please sent this information off-list because it isn't relevant for
most readers.

Ronald