[Pythonmac-SIG] Chinese glyphs in Python 3

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Wed May 27 07:48:30 CEST 2009

On 27 May, 2009, at 0:14, Kevin Walzer wrote:

> Ronald Oussoren wrote:
>
>> Which brings the question: is there anyone on the list that would
>> like to look into providing two copies of Tkinter in the binary
>> installers on OSX? This would preferably install both copies of the
>> tkinter extension and magicly select the right copy to use at
>> runtime. That way Tkinter, and more importantly IDLE, would work
>> out of the box and anyone that would need a better version of Tk
>> can use that by installing Tk themself.
> What do you mean here, versions that link to 8.5 and 8.4? Is this
> feasible?

It should be possible to have a "_tkinter84.so" and "_tkinter85.so"
that are the same extension sources linked to two different versions
of tk, then have a stub _tkinter.py module do something like:

try:
     from _tkinter85 import *
except ImportError:
     from _tkinter84 import *

It should be able to arrange for this in build-installer.py script
without having to change the global standard library.

> Perhaps this should be directed to Benjamin Peterson, who builds the
> OS X installers.

Benjamin is the release manager for python 2.7 and 3.1, he doesn't
build the OSX installers. I, however, do build them ;-)

Ronald