[Pythonmac-SIG] [Pyobjc-dev] New beta release for pyobjc: 2.2b2

Ron Garret ron at flownet.com
Tue May 26 20:25:33 CEST 2009

On May 26, 2009, at 10:34 AM, Ronald Oussoren wrote:

> On 26 May, 2009, at 19:29, Ron Garret wrote:
>

>> On May 26, 2009, at 2:59 AM, Ronald Oussoren wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I've just pushed out a new beta release for PyObjC 2.2. This
>>> version should install without problems using "easy_install
>>> pyobjc==2.2b2", and fixes some other smallish issues as well.
>>>
>>> Support for OSX 10.4 is still fairly minimal: pyobjc-core and a
>>> number of framework wrappers do build on Tiger, but there are a
>>> lot of test failures (although a large subset of those are caused
>>> by issues in the test framework).
>>>
>>> Support for OSX 10.6 is non-existant for now due to the obvious
>>> reason ;-)
>>
>> It still doesn't work for me (on an Macbook Pro (Intel) running
>> 10.5.7):
>>
>> [ron at mickey:~]$ sudo easy_install pyobjc==2.2b2
>> Searching for pyobjc==2.2b2
>> Best match: pyobjc 2.2b2
>> Processing pyobjc-2.2b2-py2.6.egg
>> pyobjc 2.2b2 is already the active version in easy-install.pth
>>
>> Using /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/
>> python2.6/site-packages/pyobjc-2.2b2-py2.6.egg
>> Processing dependencies for pyobjc==2.2b2
>> Searching for pyobjc-framework-ScreenSaver==2.2b2
>> Reading http://pypi.python.org/simple/pyobjc-framework-ScreenSaver/
>> Reading http://pyobjc.sourceforge.net
>> Best match: pyobjc-framework-ScreenSaver 2.2b2
>> Downloading http://pypi.python.org/packages/source/p/pyobjc-framework-ScreenSaver/pyobjc-framework-ScreenSaver-2.2b2.tar.gz#md5
>> =bff19c85e265409701c684f463e16c78
>> Processing pyobjc-framework-ScreenSaver-2.2b2.tar.gz
>> Running pyobjc-framework-ScreenSaver-2.2b2/setup.py -q bdist_egg --
>> dist-dir /var/folders/nT/nTiypn-v2RatkU+BYncrKU+++TI/-Tmp-/
>> easy_install-1khDIF/pyobjc-framework-ScreenSaver-2.2b2/egg-dist-tmp-
>> Sy04w1
>> /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/python2.6/
>> distutils/dist.py:266: UserWarning: Unknown distribution option:
>> 'options'
>> warnings.warn(msg)
>> ld: in /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.4u.sdk/usr/local/lib/libTIFF.dylib,
>> file is not of required architecture for architecture ppc
>> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
>> lipo: can't open input file: /var/folders/nT/nTiypn-v2RatkU+BYncrKU+
>> ++TI/-Tmp-//ccNC2XJP.out (No such file or directory)
>> error: Setup script exited with error: command 'gcc' failed with
>> exit status 1
>

> You have non-universal libraries in /usr/local, but I don't
> understand why this is a problem because that library shouldn't be
> used at all.
>
> What's even more odd is that python tries to compile at all, there
> are binary eggs available for python2.6.
>
> Ronald

I'm not quite sure what to make of this response.  It seems to me that
if a Python library is trying to find a PPC binary on an Intel machine
that's a bug in the Python library.  Also it's looking in the
MacOSX10.4u.sdk directory, but this machine is running 10.5 (.7),
which seems like another bug.

So... is this a bug, or am I doing something stupid?  If it's a bug,
am I the only person encountering it?  Can I do anything to help fix it?

rg