[Pythonmac-SIG] Gtk issues

M Tramp mysterytramp at yahoo.com
Sun May 31 16:12:31 CEST 2009

[A bit of a noob here, running Tiger on a Mac mini]

Spent well over an hour last night with MacPorts, installing modules necessary to run gramps. The software needs several modules, particularly Gtk. For the past couple of weeks, I've tried several methods of installing Gtk, including Fink and trying to compile it myself, and while I get few/no errors, gramps each time burps on the line:

import gtk

and replies: "No module named gtk"

The relevant batch of code ...

try:
    import pygtk
    pygtk.require('2.0')
except ImportError:
    pass

import gtk
from gtk import glade
import gobject
<<

I add the pygtk info because the error exception doesn't appear to check for much, so I'm wondering if that isn't a cause of the gtk problem.

If I type: port installed gtk2

I get:

gtk2 @2.16.1_4+darwin_8+x11 (active)

If I type: port installed py25-gtk

I get:

py25-gtk @2.14.1_0 (active)

My hunch is that this is a sys.path problem. But if so, I don't know what file to look for so that I can add the path to sys.path. There are several files with "gtk" in the name on my hard drive, "_gtk.so"?

mt