[Pythonmac-SIG] Py2app error with libpng

Brian Zambrano brianz at gmail.com
Fri Nov 6 17:27:17 CET 2009

Hi there,

I'm building an app with py2app and it runs successfully both on my computer
and a friends.  We both have the developer tools installed.  On two other
Macs, the application would die when loading one of the matplotlib .so
files.  The problem is that the .so, matplotlib/_png.so, is linking to:

/usr/X11/lib/libpng12.0.dylib

...which doesn't exist on the two machines where the crash is occurring.

My understanding is that py2app (or, macholib?) tries to resolve these
dependencies and copy over the necessary dylibs.

I've tried adding /usr/X11/lib/libpng12.0.dylib to the build with the
'frameworks' argument, but that doesn't seem to do anything.  Now, I'm
thinking of doing a manual copy of that file into the Framework directory,
along with using install_name_tool.

What's the best way to handle this?

BZ