[Pythonmac-SIG] Automize a droplet

Ned Deily nad at acm.org
Sun Nov 8 18:29:23 CET 2009

In article <111363.73671.qm at web56308.mail.re3.yahoo.com>,
 the Shelter <the_shelter at yahoo.com> wrote:
> droplets are little mac apps that get triggered by dragging and dropping a
> file on them.
> In my case there exists such a droplet app that creates txt output I need to
> infterface w/.
> So I wanna trigger the process of a file being dropped on the app so I get
> the txt output that is written to a folder, i.e. take the file and fire it
> off to the app ...
>

> And yes: I meant ApleScript, not Appletalk :-)
>
> Since my main application that wants to get the txt file: yes, I'd prefer a
> python approach to this.

If I understand correctly, you want to programatically emulate the
action of dropping a file onto a droplet app.  If so, probably the
easiest way to do it is to use the OS X open command from the command
line, so somthing like:

  $ open -a "/path/to/applet.app" "file-to-drop"

If that works, you can easily call that from within a python program by
using the old standby: os.system('open -a ...') or, if you need more
control, subprocess.Popen(...).

--
 Ned Deily,
 nad at acm.org