[Pythonmac-SIG] Installing py-appscript on Snow Leopard

Ivan Uemlianin ivan at llaisdy.com
Mon Nov 16 11:53:18 CET 2009

Dear All

I should like to install appscript onto my MacBook Pro. It is running
MacOSX Snow Leopard and python 2.6, and the version of py-appscript I am
working with is 0.20.0.

I have tried the easy_install way (with & without -U and -Z) and the
source/setup.py way. Both return the same error. I have read through the
recent thread on appscript and snow leopard and I don't think this error
was covered.

"sudo easy_install appscript" returns about 2300 lines of errors
starting with:

    Searching for appscript
    Reading http://pypi.python.org/simple/appscript/
    Reading http://appscript.sourceforge.net
    Best match: appscript 0.20.0
    Downloading
    http://pypi.python.org/packages/source/a/appscript/appscript-0.20.0.tar.gz#md5=c803c36665bfe8c8ae55f0ebaf7de684
    Processing appscript-0.20.0.tar.gz
    Running appscript-0.20.0/setup.py -q bdist_egg --dist-dir
    /tmp/easy_install-ORIxcg/appscript-0.20.0/egg-dist-tmp-15JznI
    Compiling with an SDK that doesn't seem to exist:
    /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.4u.sdk
    Please check your Xcode installation
    In file included from appscript_2x/ext/ae.c:14:
    /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/include/python2.6/Python.h:19:20:
    error: limits.h: No such file or directory

and ending with:

    appscript_2x/ext/ae.c:1527: error: ‘PyObject’ has no member named
    ‘ob_refcnt’
    appscript_2x/ext/ae.c:1527: error: lvalue required as increment operand
    appscript_2x/ext/ae.c:1527: error: lvalue required as increment operand
    appscript_2x/ext/ae.c:1530: warning: passing argument 2 of
    ‘PyCObject_FromVoidPtr’ from incompatible pointer type
    lipo: can't figure out the architecture type of: /var/tmp//ccZXAtgZ.out
    error: Setup script exited with error: command 'gcc' failed with
    exit status 1

My hunch is that the line

    Compiling with an SDK that doesn't seem to exist:
    /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.4u.sdk

is the clue. I have SDKs for 10.5 and 10.6 but not 10.4u. I grepped
through the source for appscript-0.20.0 but couldn't find anything to edit.

Can I compile appscript with a different sdk? Is something else the
problem? Has anyone else solved this?

Any help appreciated.

Best wishes

Ivan

Ivan A. Uemlianin

                    ivan at llaisdy.com
                     www.llaisdy.com
                         llaisdy.wordpress.com
                     www.linkedin.com/in/ivanuemlianin

    "Froh, froh! Wie seine Sonnen, seine Sonnen fliegen"
                     (Schiller, Beethoven)