[Pythonmac-SIG] 2.5 -v- 2.6 conflicts on 10.5.x

kevin parks kp8 at mac.com
Sat Nov 21 12:16:27 CET 2009

On Nov 21, 2009, at 8:00 PM, pythonmac-sig-request at python.org wrote:

>> Python 2.6.2 on Darwin (/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/
>> Versions/2.6)
>
> the system python is in /System/Library/Frameworks/....
>
> So you may want to put some version of that path into your --with-
> python
> configure flag. /usr/bin/python is a symlink.

A-ha.

>> For those of you on 10.5 with the Apple and 2.6.x Python.... how do
>> you
>> point to one or the
>> other?
>
> I think this really depends on how the configure script was written --
> so I'd ask on that list. If it needs a particular version, it
> appears to
> be pretty poorly written! I don't know squat about autoconf, so I
> can't
> help there.

I am also asking on that list.

>> And when you install 2.6 does it move stuff around or fiddle with
>> your frameworks
>> or whatever?
>
> no -- all it does is add it to your PATH.
>
> So you MAY be able to simply remove 2.6 from your PATH, and then run
> configure again. If that doesn't work, I'd try renaming
> /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6, and then trying
> again.
>
> One question:
>
> It seems you can compile and run it this way -- are you sure it
> doesn't
> work with 2.6?

The problem i was having was that even though it builds without 2.6
but it doesn't see any modules.

If i do:

$ python
Python 2.6.2 (r262:71600, Apr 16 2009, 09:17:39)
>>> import kptools

My modules in my pythonpath load and i can see the whole namespace of
that module just fine.

but if i try to access the same module with the same version of python
(via rtcmix)

$ /Users/kp8/RTcmix-all/bin/PYCMIX < /Users/kp8/rtcmix/
stereo-sfp.py
--------> RTcmix 4.0.1 (/Users/kp8/RTcmix-all/bin/PYCMIX) <--------
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "???", line 6, in <module>
ImportError: No module named kptools
kp8[521]$

It doesn't see anything. Now it may be that i would have the same
problem on python2.5 but the folks on the cmix list told me that i was
making it much more complicated by trying to build it around 2.6 and
that i should try to get it built on the Apple supplied 2.5 first, but
truth be told, i would *LOVE* to get this working on 2.6 since i then
would not have to jigger any of my 2.6 code (all those enumerates i
used would have to be change for one! ugh!)

That PYCMIX is not seeing any of my modules is perhaps not a 2.5 -v-
2.6 problem. Any thoughts on that?

I get very confused on setting the path and also am really new to bash:

# Setting PATH for MacPython 2.5
# The orginal version is saved in .bash_profile.pysave
# ----export PATH=~/bin:~/python:/usr/local/RTcmix/bin:/Library/
Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/Current/bin:$PATH

export PATH=$PATH:/Users/kp8/bin:/Users/kp8/python:/Users/kp8/python/
svg:/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/Current/bin:~/
Library/Application\ Support/NodeBox:/Users/kp8/nodebox:/Users/kp8/
mod:/Users/kp8/rtcmix:

# Setting PATH for MacPython 2.6
# The orginal version is saved in .bash_profile.pysave
PATH="/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/bin:/Users/kp8/
rtcmix:${PATH}"
export PATH