[Pythonmac-SIG] py-appscript 0.20.3, 0.21.0 and impending 1.0.0 release

hengist.podd e-mail hengist.podd at virgin.net
Mon Nov 30 18:45:59 CET 2009

Aahz wrote:

>> A couple of outstanding issues/omissions have been frustrating me
>> recently, namely the annoying bouncing Dock icon and the inability to
>> control multiple instances of the same app, so I've finally dealt with
>> those.
>
> Could you describe your experience with those two issues (or point at
> something you've posted elsewhere)?

1. Bouncing icon issue is covered in trunk/README in svn, and is
something various appscript users (including me) have groused about
over the years on this and other forums. Basically, if you run an
appscript-based Python script using the command-line python
interpreter, the python process is automatically upgraded to a full
GUI process by the OS. This results in a Python.app application
appearing in user's Dock. Mostly harmless, but very annoying. I've
modified 0.21.0 so that it doesn't use any 10.5+ OS calls known to
trigger GUI-fication, though GUI-fication will still happen if you use
a python.org framework distro as that is built against 10.4.

2. Ability to launch multiple instances of the same application is a
feature I've been wanting myself (makes it easier to parallelise
automation workflows), and was a cheap addition once I switched to
newer APIs in order to address #1. Main caveat is that OS X apps are
normally designed to run as a single instance; some will happily run
in parallel, others may not work correctly/at all. (The apps I'd like
to parallelise seem to fall into the former camp, which is good news
for me. YMMV.) I've updated the relevant API descriptions in the aem
and appscript manuals in svn, but haven't gone out of the way to show
it off (no new sample scripts). Unless you build heavy-duty automation
workflows, it's unlikely to be of any practical use to you.

HTH

has