[Pythonmac-SIG] web services

Christopher Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Thu Oct 1 18:56:18 CEST 2009

Chris Rebert wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 11:41 PM, sudhakar s <ssquery at gmail.com> wrote:
>>    Can any one suggest me how to create a simple web service.
>>    Started working with webservices but fully confused with searches i made.

> How is this relevant to Python on the Mac OS X platform specifically?

It's not, but that's probably why he cross-posted, which by the way, is
frowned upon...

But I'll give a quick answer anyway:

A web service is not so different from a web app -- you need to return
documents in response to http requests. The only difference is that
those documents at less likely to be html, and could be XML, plain text
JSON, or really anything.

I'd start with a good web framework. There are many good ones in Python,
but I personally recommend Pylons:

http://pylonshq.com/

it's designed to be flexible, letting you swap out various components
like the template engine, ORM, etc. I think this is particularly
important for a web service, as you aren't returning plain old html pages.

Twisted is work a look, too, though I haven't used it.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov