[Pythonmac-SIG] Build python app using wxpython on intel-leopard and deploy on powerpc-tiger?

hari jayaram harijay at gmail.com
Tue Oct 6 21:43:13 CEST 2009

Hi Ned thanks a tonne for your suggestions.
I have gone ahead and installed python.org python 2.6 to the
intel-leopard laptop and with dependencies for the app i.e wx
(wxpython 2.8.10) , reportlab and pyyaml  and the subversion build of
py2app. The app works fine with this python 2.6

I am using the setup.py pasted below.

I can build an app using a simple setup.py. The app however does not
launch on my machine and instead reports the following error

"ImportError:'/Library/Frameworks/Python.Framework/Versions/2.6/lib/python2.6/-lib-dynload/wx/_core_.so'
 not found

With the Apple Python 2.5 and wx version 2.8.4.0 and the same setup.py
I dont get this error but then the built app does not work on tiger or
power-pc.

So my question is
1) How do I get the wx _core_.so to be included . Since it is nowhere
on my filesystem DO I have to manually build wxpython

2) Could it be a simple error in my setup.py for py2app that is
creating this problem. I have emailed the wxpython list to enquire as
to why the _core_.so wx library is not being included.

Thanks for your help in advance, my setup.py is pasted below here
Hari Jayaram

###########################
setup.py that creates the *.app:
#########################
"""
This is a setup.py script generated by py2applet

Usage:
   python setup.py py2app
"""

from setuptools import setup

APP = ['GridZilla.py']
DATA_FILES = []
OPTIONS = {'argv_emulation': True, 'iconfile': './gzilla_ico_fin.icns'}

setup(
   app=APP,
   data_files=DATA_FILES,
   options={'py2app': OPTIONS},