[Pythonmac-SIG] py2app/64-bit/Mach-O Headers

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Tue Oct 6 21:48:37 CEST 2009

On 6 Oct, 2009, at 18:22, Ronald Oussoren wrote:

>> Not sure what to do here. I think py2app should be able to handle
>> building a Tkinter application as 64-bit without these errors;
>> Tkinter isn't some weird edge case. I've installed the latest dev
>> versions of py2app and macholib. I'm also running 10.5.8.
>
> My gut feeling is that macholib does not yet support 64-bit
> binaries. I know for sure that I have never used it with 64-bit
> binaries yet.

My gut was wrong, macholib does support 64-bit code, I've verified
this by running macho_standalone on a 3-way universal binary on OSX
10.6.

What version of macholib do you use?

I've downloaded Tcl/Tk from <http://github.com/das/tcltk/tree/de-carbon-8-5
 > and created a 3-way universal install using the xcode projects:

file /Library/Frameworks/Tcl.framework/Tcl
/Library/Frameworks/Tcl.framework/Tcl: Mach-O universal binary with 3
architectures
/Library/Frameworks/Tcl.framework/Tcl (for architecture i386):	Mach-O
dynamically linked shared library i386
/Library/Frameworks/Tcl.framework/Tcl (for architecture x86_64):	Mach-
O 64-bit dynamically linked shared library x86_64
/Library/Frameworks/Tcl.framework/Tcl (for architecture ppc7400):	Mach-
O dynamically linked shared library ppc

Macho_standalone seems to be handle this fine (I created a standalone
copy of Wish.app, after creating a copy of it outside of
Tk.framework). This should mean that py2app works with it as well.

I'm using the current HEAD of the macholib repository.

Ronald