[Pythonmac-SIG] Unwanted PPC build in setuptools

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Thu Oct 22 14:02:44 CEST 2009

On 21 Oct, 2009, at 22:14, Dave Peterson wrote:

> Ronald Oussoren wrote:
>>
>> On 19 Oct, 2009, at 23:20, Robert Kern wrote:
>>
>>> I presume he's using the Enthought Python Distribution
>>> (disclosure: I work for Enthought), which does have such a version
>>> number. It's basically a not-entirely-palatable hack to make sure
>>> that users can install and uninstall EPD in order to try it out
>>> without breaking their previously installed Pythons.
>>
>> Wouldn't it be better to use '--with-framework-name', IIRC I
>> introduced that in 2.6:
>>
>>    ./configure --enable-framework --with-framework-name=EPD
>>
>> This will create a framework named 'EPD.framework' instead of
>> 'Python.framework'.
>
> (I also work for Enthought)
>
> EPD is still using Python 2.5 as its base, though we expect to be on
> 2.6 shortly.
>
> I'm not clear on what the name of the framework effects.   Would you
> be able to install pre-built binary distributions, built against an
> "EPD" framework, into a "Python" framework?  And vice-versa?   If
> not, then this probably isn't a usable solution for us.

Extensions are not linked to the framework, extensions build for a
Python.framework should therefore work unchanged in a EPD.framework.
That said, I haven't checked yet if 3th party tools work with a
renamed Python framework, I know that py2app hardcodes the name
Python.framework and IIRC virtualenv does the same.

Both could and should be changed, and that's something on my todo list
for various reasons. One of which is that I want to have side-by-side
installs of a couple of build variations of Python on my machine.

Ronald