[Pythonmac-SIG] Python XMP Toolkit bundling

Christopher Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Wed Oct 28 21:34:46 CET 2009

Jim Skibbie wrote:
> I’m using py2app v. 0.4.3

That should do it.

>     2) make sure you are running py2app with the same python that you've
>     installed all that stuff into. (and tell us what python that is)
>

> Not sure what you mean about using the same python that I’ve installed
> all the stuff into. I compiled boost, exempi and python-xmp-toolkit into
> a directory inside my /opt/local folder. Should I have installed these
> in some other place?

What I meant was to make sure that you run py2app with the same python
that you are running your app with when it isn't bundles -- you can have
any number of different pythons installed: 2.5, 2.5, macports, fink,
etc., etc, etc.

> Here’s the setup.py, it is just the generated one from py2applet.

fine place to start

> I got the py2app to make an app that runs now by turning off the –A
> (alias mode) when building the app,

odd -- usually -A is easier to get working! Unless you move the bundle...

> but it still only runs on my
> machine.

> I’m using OS X 10.5.8 and Python 2.5.1 which I’m assuming is what came
> with my Mac? I don’t remember installing anything else.

If you use that one, py2app won't bundle everything, so it won't work on
any non-10.5 machine (and I'm not sure about extra stuff you've installed).

It's best to use the python 2.5 you get from python.org

You will then need to re-install the add-on packages you need.

> Can you tell that I’m in a little over my head??

This is all more complicated than it should be.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov