[Pythonmac-SIG] Help wanted in installing IDLE in Mac

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Tue Sep 8 14:11:08 CEST 2009

On 6 Sep, 2009, at 22:21, Ahmed Shamim wrote:

> Hi there,
> I'm really in a deep shit.
> In my class, I am just falling behind.
> I am trying every way to install IDLE in my macbook (version OS X
> 10.5.8 and Intel core 2 duo)
>
> It gets installed, but when I double click IDLE app, it just seems
> like opening something, but does not open anything...
> pls help.

How did you install IDLE?

One way that should get you a working IDLE is to download the version
of Python you want to use from www.python.org, there are binary
installers for OSX for all current releases of Python (2.5.x, 2.6.x,
3.1.x) and all of them install IDLE into a subfolder of your
Applications folder.

If you already did that: you can start the IDLE application bundle in
the Terminal as well:

     "/Applications/Python 2.6/IDLE.app/Contents/MacOS/IDLE"

If that fails to launch IDLE I'd like to know the output that's
printed in the Terminal window.

Ronald