[Pythonmac-SIG] [Python-Dev] Fwd: Broken link to download (Mac OS X)

skip at pobox.com skip at pobox.com
Thu Apr 15 03:18:01 CEST 2010

(Moving this response from python-dev to pythonmac-sig...)

    Michael> A build on my machine produces output similar to:

    Michael> Python build finished, but the necessary bits to build these modules
    Michael> were not found:
    Michael> _bsddb             dl                 gdbm
    Michael> imageop            linuxaudiodev      ossaudiodev
    Michael> readline           spwd               sunaudiodev
    Michael> To find the necessary bits, look in setup.py in detect_modules() for the
    Michael> module's name.

    Michael> Failed to build these modules:
    Michael> _tkinter

Using /usr/bin/python (Apple's 2.5.1) as a reference I find that I am able
to import the following modules from the above lists:

    imageop
    readline
    dl
    _tkinter

Using the Enthought framework build (2.5.4) I can import:

    bsddb
    imageop
    readline
    dl
    _tkinter

I don't have one of Ronald's framework builds handy, but the above suggests
several of those which failed to build for you should build.

I tried a framework build after doing the following:

    * remove /opt/local and /usr/local from my set of environment variables
    * rename /usr/local to /usr/local-
    * comment out references to /sw and /opt/local in setup.py.

dl, _tkinter and imageop built for me.  You must be missing Tcl and Tk from
/Library/Frameworks to miss on _tkinter.  Not sure why the dl and imageop
modules failed for you.  otool -L suggests that the only dylib files
required are libgcc_s and libSystem, both in /usr/lib.  Are you missing some
header files perhaps?

Skip