[Pythonmac-SIG] [Python-Dev] Fwd: Broken link to download (Mac OS X)

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Sun Apr 25 18:28:08 CEST 2010

On 25 Apr, 2010, at 18:20, Michael Foord wrote:

>> Not that I know.  The OSX installers on python.org include more C libraries, but not everything. The script that creates those installers is in the repository and it should be easy enough to enhance that to include more libraries.
>>

> Sorry, by creating a "full" build I meant building a Python including all the libraries that come with the standard installer from python.org. The sort of documentation I was looking for was not how to extend the build script - but what third party C libraries need to be installed in order to perform the standard build.

> Probably that doesn't exist either, but I guess if it *did* exist it would be easier for other people to help by building the installers for new releases. :-)

It doesn't exist as documentation, but the process is fully automated: run Mac/BuildScript/build-installer.py on a system running OSX 10.5 with ActiveState Tcl/Tk installed in /Library/Frameworks.

This doesn't work correctly set on 10.6 because Python links to a number of system libraries that have changed in 10.6. We try to get a working binary by using an OSX SDK, but that only works on 10.5 because setup.py looks at system headers instead of the ones in the SDK.  I'm working on a fix for that (see issue 7724 <http://bugs.python.org/issue7724>), running a 10.5 VM just for doing test builds of the installer sucks.

There's also a buildbot that's running OSX 10.4 and is can build the installer (or is very close to it, I'm slightly behind on my e-mail).

Ronald