[Pythonmac-SIG] [Python-Dev] Fwd: Broken link to download (Mac OS X)

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Sun Apr 25 19:04:23 CEST 2010

On 25 Apr, 2010, at 18:33, Michael Foord wrote:

>>> Sorry, by creating a "full" build I meant building a Python including all the libraries that come with the standard installer from python.org. The sort of documentation I was looking for was not how to extend the build script - but what third party C libraries need to be installed in order to perform the standard build.
>>>     Probably that doesn't exist either, but I guess if it *did* exist it would be easier for other people to help by building the installers for new releases. :-)
>>>
>> It doesn't exist as documentation, but the process is fully automated: run Mac/BuildScript/build-installer.py on a system running OSX 10.5 with ActiveState Tcl/Tk installed in /Library/Frameworks.
>>

> But that doesn't *tell me* which third party libraries I need to install first... The fact that the build is automated *once you have the correct environment in place* doesn't help me *create that environment*. That is the part I am asking about documentation for.

My paragraph above is everything that is needed. The whole point of the script is to not have to create an environment but have a reproducable build.  I'm thinking about removing the need for installing Tcl/Tk as well, it should be possible to get the same effect by creative use of linker flags.

> You mention about have ActiveState Tcl/Tk installed - but that won't build readline, bsddb and possibly other C extension libraries that are part of a standard install from a Python.org Mac OS X installer.

You don't have to install anything beyond Tcl/Tk.

Ronald