[Pythonmac-SIG] [Python-Dev] Fwd: Broken link to download (Mac OS X)

Michael Foord fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk
Sun Apr 25 16:43:02 CEST 2010

On 25/04/2010 15:31, Ronald Oussoren wrote:
> On 24 Apr, 2010, at 18:19, Michael Foord wrote:
>

>> On 18/04/2010 16:48, Ronald Oussoren wrote:
>>
>>> [snip...]

>>> * _bsddb and gdbm require external libraries that aren't provided in the system install
>>>

>> Sorry for duplicating this conversation - just going through my outstanding emails. Feel free to ignore the one on python-dev.
>>
>> What are the external libraries? This is probably documented somewhere, so could you point me to it? (Sorry - my ignorance I know.)
>>
> gdbm and bsddb are python wrappers for C libraries that aren't part of OSX, if you want to use them you have to install those C libraries manually (GNU DBM and Sleepycat DB).

Is all this documented anywhere? (A description of how to do a "full"
build - all supported modules - on Mac OS X.)

>>> * dl doesn't get build on OSX 10.6 when you use the default configure settings because that results in a 64-bit binary and setup.py explicitly disables building the dl module for 64-bit platforms. Apple has a patch that enables building dl on 64-bit OSX, I haven't had time to check if that patch is actually valid.
>>>

>> Ok. I would be interested in how to do a 32bit build.
>>
> "configure --enable-universalsdk=/ " results in a binary that is 32-bit and runs natively on i386 and ppc machines.

Thanks. I discovered this after a bit of googling - it works for me and
results in a working build of Tkinter.

>>> readline requires an external library or python 2.6.5, 2.7 or 3.2.
>>>
>> Hmm... I have readline installed (via homebrew). Is that not sufficient?
>>
> That should work, but only when setup.py finds that readline install.

How do I configure that? It looks like the location needs to be in
PyBuildExt.compiler.lib_dirs - inherited from
distutils.command.build_ext.build_ext. It doesn't look very easily
configurable.

The documentation is a little "terse" (i.e. non-existent):
http://docs.python.org/distutils/apiref.html#module-distutils.command.build_ext

All the best,

Michael Foord

--