[Pythonmac-SIG] py2app error

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Sun Aug 1 22:01:31 CEST 2010

On 1 Aug, 2010, at 19:08, Christopher Barker wrote:

> Ronald Oussoren wrote:
>> the pyglet sources explicitly load /usr/local/lib/libavbin.dylib using ctypes.  I could create a py2app recipe that copies libavbin.dylib into the application bundle, but that will probably not be used without patching the pyglet sources.
>

> This is a problem in general with all ctypes uses. In fact, ctypes reminds me a bit of py2app in the sense that it has some built-in algorithms for searching for dynamic libs, and that these fail fairly often.

Please file bugs for that, I'm pretty sure that ctypes is supposed to implement the same algoritms as the platform dynamic linker.

W.r.t. py2app: I consider cases where py2app doesn't find modules or shared libraries bugs and should be fixed, either by making the core smarter or by adding recipes.   Please post reports about issues, especially when you can reproduce them in smallish examples (or at least examples that you can share with the outside world).

> As for py2app, maybe the ctypes recipe could patch ctypes to look in a particular place in teh bundle, and then the user could specify which libs ctypes used, and py2ap would put them in the bundle.

Yes, but that will require some additional trickery to ensure that ctypes looks in this special location before looking at the full name specified by the caller.

Actually finding which libraries are loaded using ctypes will sadly enough be impossible in general, although recipes could be used for the popular libaries.

Ronald