[Pythonmac-SIG] build on OS X 10.6.2

Christopher Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Wed Feb 17 19:35:14 CET 2010

Norman Khine wrote:
> I have three python versions, one that came with OS X, one from
> MacPorts and one which I compiled with:
>
> ./configure --prefix=$HOME
>
> All works fine, but I don't understand when I change my .profile so that
>
> export PYTHON=$HOME/bin/python
>
> and try to build for example swftools, swftools only finds the MacPorts python

I've never seen a environment variable called "PYTHON", there is a
"PYTHONHOME" and "PYTHONPATH" (and others). In any case, I think they
are all used by Python once it is started, but don't specify how to
start it.

> How do I force swftools to use the $HOME/bin/python python version?

That all depends on how swftools does its build -- so I'd think it's a
question for that list. If it is building with distutils (setup.py),
then you just have to make sure you run the setup.py with the python you
want to build for

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov