[Pythonmac-SIG] py2app problems with spawn

Tom MacWright tom at developmentseed.org
Mon Jul 26 05:35:04 CEST 2010

Hi all,

I've switched to the Python.org 2.7 distribution after figuring out that you
can't do a standalone py2app application with system python (I evidently
wasn't reading through -h and it's not noted in documentation).

However, I'm running into another problem: is spawn() not supported by
py2app-generated applications? When running this application (which doesn't
contain a frontend, but does contain a web server based off of the Flask
microframework), the mac application quickly quits, and running it from the
terminal gives:

(mapsonastick_env)~/Code/python/mapsonastick_env/mapsonastick/dist/moas.app/Contents/MacOS$
./moas
 * Running on http://127.0.0.1:5000/
 * Restarting with reloader...
python: posix_spawn:
/Users/tmcw/Code/python/mapsonastick_env/mapsonastick/dist/moas.app/Contents/MacOS/../Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/Resources/Python.app/Contents/MacOS/Python:
Unknown error: 0

This is odd because neither flask, its base library werkzeug, nor my
application, use spawn directly, and running simply ./python in the
directory gives the same error:

python: posix_spawn:
/Users/tmcw/Code/python/mapsonastick_env/mapsonastick/dist/moas.app/Contents/MacOS/./../Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/Resources/Python.app/Contents/MacOS/Python:
Unknown error: 0

Any idea what's going on here? Or if there's a different route I can take
that might bring this a bit closer to something resembling success?

Tom MacWright