[Pythonmac-SIG] bdist_mpkg: more informative error message

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at googlemail.com
Wed Jun 2 12:59:27 CEST 2010

Hi,

For numpy and scipy we use bdist_mkg to build dmg installers, and we had a
user complain about a not so informative error message about a missing
System Python. System Python means from python.org instead of Apple Python,
so I can understand the confusion. You can find the details in
http://projects.scipy.org/scipy/ticket/1177. I propose this fix for
plists.py:

94c94,99
<     title = u'%s requires %s to install.' % (pkgname, name,)
---
>     # System python can be interpreted as Apple Python, explain this
better
>     if name.startswith('System Python'):
>         title = u'%s requires %s from www.python.org to install.' %
(pkgname,

name[7:],)
>     else:
>         title = u'%s requires %s to install.' % (pkgname, name,)

I hope this change can end up in the next bdist_mpkg version.

Also, it would be helpful to have a correct email address on PyPi. I
contacted Bob Ippolito, who referred me to this list or Ronald Oussoren (of
whom I have no address).

Best regards,
Ralf Gommers