[Pythonmac-SIG] bdist_mpkg: more informative error message

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Tue Jun 8 22:45:12 CEST 2010

On 2 Jun, 2010, at 3:59, Ralf Gommers wrote:

> Hi,
>
> For numpy and scipy we use bdist_mkg to build dmg installers, and we had a user complain about a not so informative error message about a missing System Python. System Python means from python.org instead of Apple Python, so I can understand the confusion. You can find the details in http://projects.scipy.org/scipy/ticket/1177. I propose this fix for plists.py:
>
> 94c94,99
> <     title = u'%s requires %s to install.' % (pkgname, name,)
> ---
> >     # System python can be interpreted as Apple Python, explain this better
> >     if name.startswith('System Python'):
> >         title = u'%s requires %s from www.python.org to install.' % (pkgname,
> >                                                                      name[7:],)
> >     else:
> >         title = u'%s requires %s to install.' % (pkgname, name,)
>
> I hope this change can end up in the next bdist_mpkg version.
>
> Also, it would be helpful to have a correct email address on PyPi. I contacted Bob Ippolito, who referred me to this list or Ronald Oussoren (of whom I have no address).

r22 in the bdist_mpkg repository will say "python.org Python" instead of "System Python",  and has this list as the e-mail adres.

I won't add my name as the maintainer because I don't actively maintain bdist_mpkg, I don't even use it anymore. Too be honest I don't quite understand why anyone still uses it instead of binary eggs.

Ronald