[Pythonmac-SIG] python.org 2.7rc1 problem

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Thu Jun 24 12:48:50 CEST 2010

On 24 Jun, 2010, at 2:52, Sridhar Ratnakumar wrote:

>>> IIRC not in 64-bit mode, the system version of Tcl/Tk 8.4 just isn't available in 64-bit.  Luckily you can use 'arch -ppc -i386 python2.7' to start python in 32-bit mode (This won't work with 2.6 BTW).
>
> Try ActivePython 2.7 rc1. I am able to import _tkinter on a 64-bit SnowL machine. This works because ActivePython 2.7 uses Tcl/Tk 8.5 (not 8.4) .. which is installed on SnowL.

The python.org installer sadly enough can't link to Tk 8.5 because Tk 8.5 isn't available before SL and I don't want to rely on a separate install of Tk because IDLE needs to work out of the box.

And yes, "arch -ppc -i386 python2.7" enables you to import Tkinter. That's why IDLE works.

> -srid
>
> PS: we (ActiveState) are trying to patch _tkinter.c, so a _tkinter.so built using 8.5 will also load 8.6 (or any subsequent version) on the user's machine (using tcl stubs). This will make it possible for 'import _tkinter' to work on 10.5 as well (if ActiveTcl 8.6 beta, with 64-bit, is installed). cf. http://bugs.python.org/issue8798

Could that work for Tk 8.4 as well?  It would be rather nice if we could have just one _tkinter extension that worked both with the Apple install of Tcl/Tk and separate installs.

Ronald