[Pythonmac-SIG] Recommended Tcl/Tk with Py-2.6.x? (was: Test failure...)

Tom Loredo loredo at astro.cornell.edu
Thu Mar 4 18:23:18 CET 2010

Ned wrote:

> The easy way to avoid nearly all the hassle, at the moment, is to stick
> with 32-bit and build Python on 10.5 - not a good long term solution.

I hesitate to bring this up for 2.6.5 because I know you guys are
swamped, but...  Can you clarify how those of us on Snow Leopard
can build a 32-bit 2.6.4 or 2.6.5?  If we *deploy* for 10.4 or 10.5
while building on Snow Leopard, can we get a 32-bit intel executable
via a universal ppc/i386 build?

(Background for those who may not have followed this:  A universal
intel build currently does build a bundle with 32- and 64-bit
executables, but there is no way to access the 32-bit version,
and no way to build just 32-bit intel on Snow Leopard.  I think
the fix is planned for 2.7 but not yet in 2.7a3 and not backported
to 2.6.5rc1.)

To explain my continued pestering on this:  I've written several
Homebrew formulae to make installing Python and the libs for
NumPy/SciPy pretty painless on the Mac.  Homebrew builds everything
from source, and its policy is to try as much as possible to
target the user's platform; it is being maintained for Snow
Leopard (though many formulae build on Leopard).  Pretty much
everything in Homebrew is intel-only (since Snow Leopard is),
hence its current Python formula has only 64-bit intel (default)
and universal intel options.  Obviously we can put in ppc/intel
universal options to get 32-bit (as a stopgap), but I'm now
getting dizzy with the number of Python version/config flag
permutations I've tried, trying to build an accessible 32-bit Python
on Snow Leopard (so far without success on 2.6.4, 2.6.5rc1, and 2.7a3),
and I'd prefer to have some guidance on what to do for my next
iterations.  8-)

Or does one really have to build under Leopard to get 32-bit?

Thanks,
Tom