[Pythonmac-SIG] Building 32-bit on Snow Leopard with tkinter/IDLE (was: Recommended Tcl/Tk with Py-2.6.x)

Tom Loredo loredo at astro.cornell.edu
Thu Mar 11 06:32:24 CET 2010

> If you are willing to install a new Tcl/Tk, you can have success but
> you have to be careful.  Both ActiveTcl 8.4 and 8.5 (the current
> version) will produce a working IDLE.  Both of these are only 32-bit
> in the free versions, so you will have to do some undocumented installation
> trickery (in my earlier post) to build a 32-bit Python-2.6 on 10.6 to
> mate with ActiveTcl, but at least you can avoid patching setup.py.

I should have added:  If you're happy with 32-bit Python on Snow Leopard
and have no need to build from source, just do as Chris recommended
earlier:  Use Python.org's installer.  It is built on an earlier OS
than SL and links against Apple's Tcl/Tk 8.4, so when you install
it on SL, it finds the 8.4 version that Apple includes in SL for
backward compatibility.

-Tom