[Pythonmac-SIG] [pythonmac-sig] python 2.7 tkinter using tk 8.6

Michael Foord fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk
Fri May 21 18:34:47 CEST 2010

On 21/05/2010 17:28, Ronald Oussoren wrote:

> On 21 May, 2010, at 17:31, Michael Foord wrote:
>

>> On 21 May 2010 16:21, ronaldoussoren <ronaldoussoren at mac.com
>> <mailto:ronaldoussoren at mac.com>> wrote:
>>

>>     On May 21, 2010, at 02:24 PM, Kevin Walzer <kw at codebykevincom> wrote:
>>
>>>     On 5/21/10 1:16 AM, Stephen M. Gava wrote:
>>>     > Hi there,
>>>     > I've installed the python.org <http://python.org/> package of
>>>     python 2.7b2 for osx snow leopard.
>>>     >
>>>     > It's Tkinter appears to be built against Tk 84, but I want to use
>>>     > Tkinter with my installed framework build of Tk 8.6 (for
>>>     native Tk .png
>>>     > support among other things).
>>>     >
>>>     > So, I assume I need to build my own osx packages of 2.7
>>>     linking against
>>>     > Tk 8.6 to achieve this?
>>>     >
>>>     > Thanks,
>>>     > Stephen
>>>
>>>     Yes, most likely. I believe the binary installers from
>>>     Python.org <http://Python.org/> still
>>>     link against 8.4 by default--anything else requires you to build
>>>     your own.
>>
>>     The binary installers link to 8.4, and that won't change until
>>     all supported versions of OSX ship with a newer version of Tk.
>>
>>     I'm willing to ship a version of tkinter that links with 8.5, but
>>     only if someone provides a patch that enables linking to both 8.4
>>     and 8.5 (in two different builds of _tkinter) and automaticly
>>     selects the right version to use.
>>
>>     What I'm thinking of is:
>>
>>     have _tkinterpy that does:
>>
>>     try:
>>        from _tkinter85 import *
>>     except ImportError:
>>        from _tkinter84 import *
>>
>>     Then patch setup.py to build _tkinter84.so and _tkinter85.so from
>>     _tkinter.c while linking to the right version of Tk. This should
>>     only be done when a special configure argument is present, if it
>>     isn't setup.py should default to building _tkinter.so like it
>>     currently does.
>>

>> That sounds great!
>
> Cool. When can I expect a patch ;-)

Judging by the progress of my current good intentions for learning to
contribute to the C parts of CPython it will only be a few years now... :-(

Michael

--
http://www.ironpythoninaction.com/
http://www.voidspace.org.uk/blog

READ CAREFULLY. By accepting and reading this email you agree, on behalf of your employer, to release me from all obligations and waivers arising from any and all NON-NEGOTIATED agreements, licenses, terms-of-service, shrinkwrap, clickwrap, browsewrap, confidentiality, non-disclosure, non-compete and acceptable use policies ("BOGUS AGREEMENTS") that I have entered into with your employer, its partners, licensors, agents and assigns, in perpetuity, without prejudice to my ongoing rights and privileges. You further represent that you have the authority to release me from any BOGUS AGREEMENTS on behalf of your employer.