[Pythonmac-SIG] Which version to use??

Rodney Somerstein rodneys at io.com
Tue May 25 18:18:57 CEST 2010

On Tuesday, May 24, 2010, Aahz wrote:
>If you care about the Mac (particularly in terms of being able to use
>PyObjC and/or py2app), stick with 2.x for now.  Otherwise, it doesn't
>matter much which exact version of 3.x you use.

This brings up a question for me as to what the state of Python is on
the Mac. Python 3.x has been a available for quite awhile. I see on
Python.org that 3.1.2 is listed as the current download for the Mac.
What exactly is the current state of this? What doesn't work on the
Mac in Python 3 and what are current plans related to this?

The Mac Python community seems pretty small. Given that Python seems
to position itself as a major programming and scripting language, it
seems rather strange that there is so little effort placed into
providing first class support for the second most popular computing
platform. I know that various individuals on this list put a
tremendous amount of work into porting and supporting various parts
of Python on the Mac platform. But what is the overall state of
Python here? Especially in regards to Python 3, which seems to
definitely be the future of the language.

I have looked at moving into Python several times over the years, but
it always seems to be a second class language when it comes to
producing programs to run on the Mac. At least outside of various
command line tools. Is Python moving toward parity with the Windows
and Unix world on the Macintosh?

Thanks,

-Rodney