[Pythonmac-SIG] OSX10.6/readline-6.1/python-2.6.5

Zvezdan Petkovic zvezdan at zope.com
Tue May 25 22:00:53 CEST 2010

On May 25, 2010, at 2:40 PM, Charles Turner wrote:

> On May 25, 2010, at 10:25 AM, Chris Kees wrote:
>
>> I'm compiling python and readline from source and getting a segmentation fault in readline
>
> This approach worked for me:
>
> <http://rh0dium.blogspot.com/2010/01/building-python-on-264-snow-leopard.html>

This is exactly why I asked the OP in the previous post how his readline was compiled and where it was stored.

You took care to compile it universal and for the same deployment target as your Python.  That is very important.

Additionally, you installed both into (a default) /usr/local/... which again may be important because it's in the default path for library search.

I must point out, though, that you built Python 2.6.4 where compilation of GNU readline was the only option.

Starting with Python 2.6.5, when the deployment target is 10.6 (or 10.5), the GNU readline is not needed at all.  Python will link with the native editline and work just fine.

The OP should be able to build it using your instructions with or without external GNU readline.

Best regards,

	Zvezdan