[Pythonmac-SIG] OSX10.6/readline-6.1/python-2.6.5

Chris Kees cekees at gmail.com
Wed May 26 01:16:42 CEST 2010

Thanks for explaining the situation with readline.  As you suspected, what
was happening is that an older version of readline was installed in
/usr/local/lib that I had forgotten about.  The GNU readline I had built as
a 2-way 32/64-bit and installed into ${MY_PREFIX} wasn't getting linked in.
 After uninstalling the /usr/local/lib readline and the readline in
${MY_PREFIX} I get a working 2 way 32/64 bit python interpreter from:

./configure --prefix=${MY_PREFIX} --enable-framework=${MY_PREFIX}
--with-universal-archs=intel --enable-universalsdk=/
MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET=10.6 CC=/usr/bin/gcc
CPPFLAGS="-I${MY_PREFIX}/include" LD=/usr/bin/gcc
LDFLAGS="-L${MY_PREFIX}/lib"

I haven't tried to get it working with GNU readline yet, but I think what
I'm going to do is use the readline module from  pypi as a fallback on
systems where the default readline module doesn't build instead of carrying
around GNU readline in my stack. For future reference,  the readline module
is here: http://pypi.python.org/pypi/readline/2.6.4

Thanks again for your help.
Chris