[Pythonmac-SIG] PIL binaries -- please test

Zvezdan Petkovic zvezdan at zope.com
Wed May 26 06:10:30 CEST 2010

On May 25, 2010, at 6:24 PM, Matthias Baas wrote:
> I tried the py2.6 binary on OSX 10.4. The package installs fine but it
> can't really load an image. When I open a jpg, I can read its size but
> as soon as I try to load the data, I get an import error:
>
> ImportError: The _imaging C module is not installed
>
> When I try to import _imaging manually I get:
>
> ImportError: dlopen(./_imaging.so, 2): Symbol not found: _clock$UNIX2003
>  Referenced from: ./_imaging.so
>  Expected in: dynamic lookup
>
> I don't know what that UNIX2003 means? Is that a special version of
> clock() that's not compatible with the one provided here on 10.4?

In short:

Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) is an officially certified UNIX conforming to UNIX 2003 specification.  Since Mac OS X 10.4 and earlier still had to be supported, Apple decided to use names like _clock() for legacy calls and _clock$UNIX2003() for the new UNIX specification compatible calls.

See the details here: http://developer.apple.com/mac/library/releasenotes/Darwin/SymbolVariantsRelNotes/index.html

Unfortunately, this also means that you cannot use this build of PIL on Mac OS X 10.4 and older.

Best regards,

	Zvezdan