[Pythonmac-SIG] py2app query from a naif

William R. Wing wrw at me.com
Fri May 28 15:00:42 CEST 2010

I'm trying to get py2app working so I can distribute a python application I've written for OS-X.  I finally succeeded in getting py2app to run to completion with no errors, and it produces an output bundle with the right name and a cute icon.

The recipe for success in getting that far was to override python 2.6's default behavior in OS X and force it to run in 32-bit mode using the "defaults write....." command in Apple's python man page.

However, the output .app runs ONLY on the system on which it was created.  Taking it to another OS-X box (also Intel architecture, also running the same level of OS X (10.6.3), and also running python2.6, but as it came from Apple (still 64-bit default), the .app won't run.  The error message in the system log isn't crystal clear - at least to me.  It is (this is a direct cut and paste) :

5/27/10 1:25:48 PM	EthernetError[5822]	A Python runtime could be located.  You may need to install a framework build of Python, or edit the PyRuntimeLocations array in this application's Info.plist file

where "EthernetError" is the name of the application bundle that I'm trying to launch.  The error message does indeed say "A Python runtime could be located" (which I'd not think represented an error).  When I look at the plist file I see:

	<key>PyRuntimeLocations</key>
	<array>
		<string>@executable_path/../Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/Python</string>
		<string>/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/Python</string>
	</array>

which looks ok, at least to me (who doesn't know what to look for).

I'm guessing that the error message should have been: "A Python runtime could NOT be located."  Since the output bundle that py2app created was only 283kB (which seems small to me if it really contains a universal binary of the python interpreter), this would be sort of self-consistent.

I know from reading other py2app exchanges on this list that I can't distribute Apple's binary, and eventually I'll have to replace it with one from python.org, but I'd like to get py2app running before I tackle that hurdle.

What am I missing?  Can anyone please help?

Thanks,
Bill