[Pythonmac-SIG] py2app/wx font embed problem

Sean DiZazzo half.italian at gmail.com
Wed Nov 3 19:59:57 CET 2010

Hi all,

I'm trying to package an app for both windows and mac.  It uses wxpython,
MySQLdb and SQLObject.  On Windows, I used py2exe, and got it working right
away.  On my mac, I have had problems getting it to work.  I am using
python2.6 on darwin ports along with the needed libraries.

When I run the app from the command line using the darwin ports Python
version, it opens up ok, and there are no font problems.  When I use the
same interpreter and package it into a ".app" application, it opens ok, but
each text character is replaced by a box.  I built the interface with
wxFormBuilder, so I am a bit removed from the actual GUI code.  I did,
though, try changing the default font several different ways and
recompiling.  It didn't help.

Python 2.6.6 (r266:84292, Oct 28 2010, 14:05:04)
wx-2.8-gtk2-unicode
py2app-0.5.3-py2.6.egg

Any ideas?

~Sean