[Pythonmac-SIG] Newbie Python User Question About IDLE (File > New Window seems to disable IDLE)

Chris Rebert pythonmac at rebertia.com
Tue Oct 5 03:21:49 CEST 2010

On Mon, Oct 4, 2010 at 3:51 PM, Richard Fuhr <richard.fuhr at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am a new Python user and have started to explore a few of its basic
> capabilities using IDLE
>
> I am running Mac OS X Snow Leopard ( version 10.6.4 )
> with Python Version 2.6.1
>                Tk Version 8.5
>             IDLE Version 2.6.1
>
> If I launch IDLE and enter Python statements in the initial window that is
> presented, all seems fine.
>
> However, if, in the IDLE session, I invoke the menu item File > New Window
> a new window does appear, but I can not type anything into it, and, worse
> yet, can not type anything into
> the original IDLE session window either, and have to do a force quit.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to properly use the File > New
> Window feature of IDLE on the Mac?
>
> PS - Since first posting this question on another discussion group, I have
> been told that there are indeed problems
> with some versions of IDLE on the Mac, and was also urged to post this
> question here on the pythonmac-sig group
> for additional guidance.

I can confirm that under Snow Leopard's system/Framework Python+IDLE,
doing File -> New Window creates a new window without any window
decoration and then causes IDLE to hang.

However, there is no such problem with my Python 2.6.5 X11-based IDLE from Fink.
You might consider installing another Python from Fink[1] or
MacPorts[2], since you don't want to muck around with the system
Python anyway (you'll surely want to install 3rd party Python
modules/packages at some point). Its IDLE ought to work.

[1]: http://www.finkproject.org/
[2]: http://www.macports.org/

Cheers,
Chris