[Pythonmac-SIG] Creating environment to build re-distributable app

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Tue Oct 12 19:57:39 CEST 2010

On 9 Oct, 2010, at 17:51, Antonio Goméz Soto wrote:

> Hi
>
> I am new to this list. I have a Windows/Linux developed wxPython program
> that I need to create a OSX version for that runs on various OSX platforms.
>
> I modified the app to run on OSX from my source directory, and now it runs
> correctly from there (I use Snow Leopard).
>
> I have forced the OSX supplied Python to run in 32-bit using
> VERSIONER_PYTHON_PREFER_32_BIT=yes, because some of my modules require that,
> and I can't fix those. I use appscript, twisted, and plan to use WebKit,
> which appararently only runs 32-bit.
>
> I am playing with py2app to create a bundle of my app, but I run into
> problems:
>
> 1. py2app seems to work, but the created app seems to run in 64-bit
>   even if I do the 'defaults write com.apple.versioner.python Prefer-32-Bit -bool yes'
>   command. I get the 'module' object has no attribute TickCount error, which
>   according to Google means I am running in 64-bit mode.

That's not entirely unexpected. You can work around this by converting the executable in YourApp.app/Contents/MacOS to a 32-bit only one using the lipo tool.

> 2. I read on this list that I should not use the Apple-supplied Python, because
>   py2app is setup to NOT include that in the build, and this way I cannot
>   distribute my app.

That's not entirely correct.  Py2app will indeed not include the Apple-supplied python into the app bundle, but you can redistribute the resulting binary. Your bundle will then require a SL system to run though.

> the posting said to build python2.6 from python.org,
>   install all my modules, and work from there.

That should work as well.

> 3. I have had bad experience so far building WebKit, because I used macports to
>   get git, and that apparently took over my build environment, and that's why
>   building WebKit failed. I am afraid macports is getting in the way here too.
>
> So what is the best way to handle this?

Stop using macports?

BTW. The system supplied version of WebKit runs in 64-bit mode, so that shouldn't be a problem.   The nightly build (I checked WebKit r69429) also supports x86_64 on SnowLeopard, but not on OSX 10.5 (I wouldn't know why though).

Ronald