[Pythonmac-SIG] Advice on building binary installers for Python 2.7?

Russell E. Owen rowen at uw.edu
Fri Oct 15 20:58:38 CEST 2010

I'd like to build binary installers for PIL and matplotlib for
python.org Mac Python 2.7 but I confess I'm not sure how to go about it.

As I understand it there are two flavors of Mac Python 2.7: a 32-bit
build that is compatible with Mac OS X 10.3.9 and later and a 64-bit
build that requires Mac OS X 10.5 or later.

A complicating factor is that I have not figured out how to build
matplotlib or PIL installers for Python 2.6 on 10.5 or 10.6 that were
usable on 10.3.9 or 10.4. I built the libraries they depend on as static
universal binaries but even so, it did not work. I ended up building
everything on a Mac OS X 10.4 machine (which I have on long-term loan
for that sole purpose).

I think the following is true, but I'd be most grateful for corrections:
- I'll need to make two installers per package, one for the 32-bit
python, one for the 64-bit python.
- 32-bit python 2.7 should be trivial: treat it exactly like Python 2.6.
Build the installers on a Mac OS X 10.4 machine using the existing
static libraries I already built and all should be well.
- 64-bit python 2.7 is what I'm worried about. For building the
dependent libraries do I have to use a particular gcc (e.g. 4.2 instead
of 4.0)? What flags should I use? I'm guessing it would be safer to
build on Mac OS X 10.5 than 10.6 (especially since the 10.6 XCode has
some known issues -- components that were built incorrectly that cause
warnings when one tries to build libraries).

Any pointers to documentation or advice would be most appreciated.

-- Russell

P.S. The numpy folks apparently were able to make a single binary
installer that works everywhere with both versions of Python 2.7. I'm
not sure how they managed that, but perhaps numpy doesn't require
bringing in any static libraries (if it uses the built in numeric
libraries).