[Pythonmac-SIG] New binary installers for numpy, PIL and matplotlib for 32-bit python 2.7

Russell E. Owen rowen at uw.edu
Wed Oct 20 00:09:11 CEST 2010

I have build three binary installers for the python.org 32-bit Python
2.7 (compatible with 10.3.9 and later):

numpy 1.5.0 (see note 1)
matplotlib 1.0.0 (see note 2)
PIL 1.1.7

They are available here:
<http://www.astro.washington.edu/users/rowen/python/>

Please test them and let me know if they work for you. So far I have
tried them on 10.4 Intel (where I built them) and 10.5 Intel.

Notes:
1) the numpy 1.5.0 binary installer that is served by the numpy folks
does NOT work with 32-bit python 2.7. That is why I made a new installer.
2) I doubt matplotlib works with wxAgg because I used the wxPython
binary installer for 2.7, and I fear it may only be compatible with
64-bit python. I only tested TkAgg.

If matplotlib does not work with wxAgg then does anyone know how hard it
is to build wxPython from source? I've never tried it.

While we are going through the uncomfortable transition between 32-bit
and 64-bit python (e.g. while we still support Mac OS X 10.4) it would
really help if folks who make binary installers were explicit about
which version of Python they are for (32-bit or 64-bit).

-- Russell