[Pythonmac-SIG] pyobjc with appscript

Adam Morris amorris at mistermorris.com
Sun Oct 24 08:18:22 CEST 2010

Dear Pythonmac-sig,

I have a python script that gives Keynote some added features useful to
teachers. It lets students interact with whatever is being projected right
at their desk. It's written in python using appscript but at the moment runs
entirely from the command line.

I'm looking at giving it a GUI. I'm considering using the AppleScriptObjC
bridge, but that means converting all my convenience classes from
python/appscript into pure AppleScript (boo). The upside though is that I
could get started on that right away.

I'd really rather use PyObjC but would need a helping hand getting started
on making a deployable Snow Leopard-only app, and getting it so that
appscript is included. How do I do that without requiring the user to have
appscript in its python path? This isn't the first time I've tried figuring
this out and don't understand how this works. Can someone point me in the
right direction?

I'd also be happy to write about my progress making the app so that it might
be useful for the future.

-Adam