[Pythonmac-SIG] Interacting with the contents of an editor

Suresh Krishna madzientist at gmail.com
Tue Sep 28 22:00:04 CEST 2010

Hi,

I would like to interact with the content of an editor (simple single file
editor will do) using Python on OS 10.6. The python script will run in the
background and do stuff (like open pop-up windows etc) based on evaluating
the text entered into the editor.

I am a Python novice, but am familiar with C/Matlab programming. And I
want to learn whatever is necessary to get this done.

What would be the easiest way to go about this ? Using wxPython's text
controls ? I would really like to interact with a full-fledged editor if
possible. Would Scintilla be an option ? Maybe something using AppleScript
and TextEdit ?

Thanks much !!

Suresh