[Pythonmac-SIG] Interacting with the contents of an editor

Charles Hartman cohar at conncoll.edu
Tue Sep 28 23:53:24 CEST 2010

If I understand correctly, you want to build an editor with a Python
component, rather than interact with an existing editor.  If I'm wrong,
maybe AppleScript/TextEdit is a way to go; maybe someone else will have tips
on how to do that.

In wxPython, the wxStyledTextCtrl is essentially a Scintilla-based editor,
with lexers, very much like WingIDE.  Getting the STC to behave reasonably
as a basic editor is not difficult -- I know because I've done it, and I'm
not much of a programmer.  Note that the documentation for STC is rather
separate from the rest of the wxPython documentation. Look on
http://www.yellowbrain.com/stc/index.html
Browsing through that would show you a lot of what the STC is built to do.
 If you want special behavior, you'd have to build a lexer or more likely
tweak an existing one.  I haven't yet found a need to do that.

On Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 4:00 PM, Suresh Krishna <madzientist at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to interact with the content of an editor (simple single file
> editor will do) using Python on OS 10.6. The python script will run in the
> background and do stuff (like open pop-up windows etc) based on evaluating
> the text entered into the editor.
>
> I am a Python novice, but am familiar with C/Matlab programming. And I want
> to learn whatever is necessary to get this done.
>
> What would be the easiest way to go about this ? Using wxPython's text
> controls ? I would really like to interact with a full-fledged editor if
> possible. Would Scintilla be an option ? Maybe something using AppleScript
> and TextEdit ?
>
> Thanks much !!
>
> Suresh

Charles O. Hartman
Poet in Residence
Professor, Chair, Department of Literatures in English
oak.conncoll.edu/cohar