[Pythonmac-SIG] why does the Mac installer hack the user's .bash_profile?

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Mon Apr 11 19:06:14 CEST 2011

On 11 Apr, 2011, at 17:13, Bill Janssen wrote:

> Ronald Oussoren <ronaldoussoren at mac.com> wrote:
>
>> BTW. I've talked with Ned about this feature at Pycon and we'd like to
>> move to a python-select command that gives you a command-line tool for
>> managing the path to the current python (simular to gcc-select or
>> xcode-select).  That way it should be possible to do away with
>> automaticly patching the shell profile.
>
> How about a Preference Pane?  I could probably remember how to code one
> up with PyObjC and Python.

A preference pane would work as well. It would need to be writting in Objective-C though, both because PyObjC is not part of the stdlib and because PyObjC plugins are not (and cannot be) isolated from each other very well.

I'd prefer to have a solution that works from the command-line as well (for power-users and for integration with other tools)

Ronald