[Pythonmac-SIG] Tkinter app in Mac App Store

Kevin Walzer kw at codebykevin.com
Fri Apr 15 06:00:07 CEST 2011

Hi all,

I'm just writing to mention that I've had a Tkinter app approved in the
Mac App Store, QuickWho (http://www.codebykevin.com/quickwho.html). I'm
pretty sure it's not the first Python app included in the App Store (I
believe there are a few PyObjC apps there), but there has been little
discussion of the App Store on this list, so I wanted to share a few
experiences, in case anyone is planning to submit a Tkinter-based
program to the App Store.

Most of my challenges revolved around the fact that Tk-Cocoa uses
numerous calls into private methods and API's (or SPI, I guess), and so
you can't bundle the Tcl/Tk frameworks with your application. The
workaround for this is to link your application to the Tcl/Tk Cocoa
frameworks that are bundled with OS X in /System/Library. As has been
well-documented, this build of Tk is rather buggy, so proceed with caution.

Using this approach requires a custom build of Python that links to the
frameworks in /System/Library rather than in /Library; the simplest way
to make sure of this is to move other installations of Tcl/Tk in
/Library/Frameworks to another location.

I outline some details about this in more depth here:
http://www.codebykevin.com/opensource/app-store.html. This article
doesn't mention Python (it focuses instead on Tk), but most of it is
applicable, and can be supplemented by what I've outlined in this e-mail.

Hope others find this useful,
Kevin

--
Kevin Walzer