[Pythonmac-SIG] using py2app with scipy

Michael Schmidt elmickerino at gmail.com
Thu Aug 11 18:35:10 CEST 2011

Hi Everyone,

I'm trying to create a stand-alone app for some scientific analysis code
using py2app, and I'm running into problems when I try to include scipy in
my application (same goes for matplotlib).  As you can guess, this is a
necessary pre-requisite for my app to be at all useful.  The documentation
on the py2app site is a couple of years old now, and mailing list entries
about the subject are from 2007, so I'm really hoping someone out there in
the intertubes has succesfully packaged these into a stand-alone program.

The terminal commands look just fine when I do:

python --make_setup test_app.py
python setup.py py2app

The problem only arises when I try to actually run the application.  I get
an error window stating "test_app Error" and nothing else.

My sample code is attached.  I'm using Max OS 10.6.8, python version 2.6.1,
numpy version 2.0.0, scipy version 0.9.0 and matplotlib version 1.0.0

My goal is to create a program that future grad students in my lab will be
able to re-use - any help here would be much appreciated, and would further
the progress of scientific inquiry (a lil' bit).

Thanks a bunch!
Michael