[Pythonmac-SIG] Python on iphone for developers

Bill Janssen janssen at parc.com
Thu Aug 18 19:08:10 CEST 2011

Ronald Oussoren <ronaldoussoren at mac.com> wrote:

> On 4 Aug, 2011, at 22:21, Bill Janssen wrote:
>
> > Dan Ross <dan at rosspixelworks.com> wrote:
> >
> >> So how does one use this to make an iOS app then?
> >
> > That's an exercise for the reader.  Basically, you build an Objective-C
> > iOS app, but implement the callbacks and program logic as thin C
> > wrappers that call into Python to get things done.  This is simpler with
> > a working PyObjC for iOS, of course, but I don't know what the status
> > of that is.
>
> There appears to be a port of pyobjc to iOS, but that's not something I support.

I'm confused.  On http://www.saurik.com/id/5, it says,

``Having done this then put me in the perfect frame of mind to try to
get other languages over, and the #1 request was Python, which already
has an amazing project behind it: PyObjC.''

``The effort for porting this turned out to be minimal, and the
maintainer of the project (Ronald Oussoren) has contacted me about
merging my changes, which means that its support that is likely to stay
around for quite a while.''

Never happened, eh?  The merge, that is.

Bill