[Pythonmac-SIG] Problem with PyObjC memory usage ~

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Tue Feb 15 14:12:17 CET 2011

On 15 Feb, 2011, at 11:54, Virgil Dupras wrote:

> On 2011-02-15, at 11:34 AM, Fur Yao wrote:
>

>> It works fine.  But I found it will couse a lot of memory usage( without Python about 20M and with Python it goes up to 50M or higher).
>>
>> I want to know how to release the unnecessary memory usage~
>
> When importing modules like "Foundation" or "Appkit" in Python, big files with metadata are loaded up. As long as you import those modules, you'll get this high memory usage. Addressing this problem is on PyObjC's roadmap, but its maintainer, Ronald, is pretty much the only one working on it, so development is slow.

To be clear: "pretty much the only one" means that I'm the only one working on PyObjC except for some contributed bugfixes (mostly be Virgil in the last year).

Researching and (hopefully) fixing the memory usage of PyObjC requires several days of work, which I just don't have at the moment. I do almost all my work on PyObjC in my not very copious free time, and that means progress is slow and I tend to prefer to work on more interesting things that this issue.

Ronald