[Pythonmac-SIG] a word of warning for pyobjc users

has hengist.podd at virgin.net
Wed Feb 23 17:48:33 CET 2011

Kevin Walzer wrote:

On 2/22/11 8:27 AM, Ronald Oussoren wrote:

> > Don't install Xcode 4 when you use PyObjC for your GUIs and want to use Interface Builder.  The Interface Builder that's included with Xcode 4 no longer supports Python.
> >
> > I've filed a bug in Apple's tracker, but I have no idea if that will have any effect at all. It'll probably not help a lot, I filed the same bug just after WWDC last year and that didn't help either.
>
> Unbelievable. Apple's "scripting bridge" push,

You mean BridgeSupport (http://bridgesupport.macosforge.org/), which
provides XML descriptions of the non-introspectable bits of Cocoa APIs
for easy consumption by PyObjC, MacRuby, etc.

> its claim of full Cocoa support for Python, Ruby, etc. seems hard to believe now.

I would suggest dropping a note to Laurent Sansonetti (BridgeSupport +
MacRuby lead) and other bridge & runtime devs
(http://www.cocoadev.com/index.pl?CocoaBridges)
(http://www.cocoadev.com/index.pl?CocoaLanguages) to find out if
they're also affected. Laurent may also be in a marginally better
position to agitate, seeing as he's an Apple employee.
(http://www.macruby.org/)

> What other options are there? Specify your GUI by hand?

Is it just the Read/Write Class Files functionality that's affected,
or has Xcode 4 also lost the ability to specify IB classes manually?
(IB 2 was good at this; IB 3 not so good but I think it was still
possible.)

HTH

has